Monday, January 31, 2011

Pita Pocket


Do you remember when everyone use to make fun of Barney the Dinosaur?  I always thought that I would never let my kids watch what I thought was such an annoying show.  Well...... my kids actually own one.  Anyways in this video there is a song where Barney sings about different kinds of breads, and there is a verse that goes.  Pita Pocket Pita Pocket Yum Yum Pita Pocket.  This is what Ariana sings when I decide to bake pita pockets.  I love making Pita Pockets.  They are so easy to make, and this may be the little girl in me, but I love that its a pocket.  Here is the recipe "Yum Yum Pita Pocket."

1 1/8 C  of warm water
3 C  all purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons of white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast


- Place all ingredientes in bread pan of your bread machine, select dough.  

-When done turn dough on lightly floured surface.  Make little balls, and then roll out with rolling pin to about a 6-7 inch circle.  Let pitas rise for about 30min.

-Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Place 2-3 pitas on a wire cake rack.  Place cake rack directly on oven rack.  Bake pitas for 4-5 minutes until puffed and tops begin to brown.  Remove from oven and immediately place pitas in a sealed brown paper bag, or cover them with a damp kitchen towel.  This helps them stay soft.  Once they are softened just cut in half, and stuff them with whatever your heart desires. 

2 comments:

  1. For the record, I thought you were a great runner, not just good. I randomly read one of your earlier postings about taking up photography and I hope you are enjoying that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol how embarassing!! Yeah I had just had my second baby and I think I was suffering from mommy mush brain. I finally got a camera, and it has been a lot of fun so far. I really do love it, I hope with practice I can get really good :0)

    ReplyDelete