Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Who said we shouldn't play with our food?



I think I bake just so I can have an excuse to whip out my camera.  I have so much fun setting it up and making it look all pretty.  These are Maple Oat scones!  They were so yummy this morning.  The other day I made strawberry ones, and they were all wheat.  My goal for this next year is to start changing a lot of my bread recipes into wheat.  

I haven't blogged in a while, and then the other day I was telling a story about my kids and it dawned upon me that I may forget all about it if I don't write it down.  It made me so sad.  I have had this internal battle with the internet lately.  It can take so much of our time if we let it.  So I kinda went the whole other direction.  But there are good things to it too.  Like having this nifty blog to help me remember this precious stage in life.  That can be chaotic and beautiful all in the same breath.


This little guy went through a stage where he was quite the handful.  But in that handful I always could feel his gooey center.  He has changed so much these last two months.  He is so thoughtful and caring.  He loves me so much I sometimes feel so humbled to feel such love from such a tiny human being.  There capacity for love just blows me away.

The other night he asked for a blanket and his dad told him mom is washing all the extra blankets but you can use moms.  Viggo then said" oh no I can't take moms.  What will she have?"  He would rather be cold then have me be uncomfortable.  Such a sweet heart he has.  He does that all the time now.

Yesterday, he found some coins, and he tells me how he is going to give it to his dad.  I was like "okay, that's interesting but cool."  Later that night his dad came home and he told his dad how he found him some coins.  David then told Viggo "thank you!! You are so awesome!" Later that night I asked David what all the coins thing was about.  I guess the other day he was studying and he had like three coins next to him.  Viggo comes by and asks "hey Dad are those your coins."  David says, "yeah but you can have them."  Viggo, "Oh wow Dad you don't have much money.  Don't worry I will make sure to find you more money. If not I will give you some that I have from my iron man bank."  David said you could see on his face the Viggo felt so bad that he thought he had more money than his dad.  Since that day he has been collecting coins for his dad so he can have more money.  I was laughing so hard when David told me that story.  He has a true heart.  He is a tuff little guy but he has a heart of gold.  

Side note- You know how we have our kids do stuff and we don't want them to necessarily get praise for every little thing they do.  Or, maybe that's just me.  I think its important for kids to do things just because it's the right thing to do and expect something in return.  Well yesterday I was walking out from the store from making a return.  Viggo found a shopping bag on the ground wrapped around the light pole.  He stopped and asked me if it was ok for him to pick it up and run it to the trash.  I didn't think much of it and said yes.  As he is sprinting his way to the trash can, this older women opens her car door, and tells me "now that's a good kid."  It made my heart happy and Viggo was smiling ear to ear.  I know we shouldn't expect praise every time we do something but it sure is nice when it happens unexpectedly.  It also helped to remind me that I am so blessed to have these kiddos in my life.

*Micah is in a scratching phase, but hey if Viggo out grew his biting phase, and turned out okay, I'm sure Micah will too..... I guess we shall see!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment