Monday, October 14, 2013

Smelly Memories




David and I have been moving around a lot from the moment we were married.  I have never been so far away from my family as I am now.  I have been doing really well with not missing family too much, but this past week my little brother left for his mission.  We had our last conversation together over the phone and it just made me miss them. When he gets back from Argentina it should be around the time David has finished up school.  So hopefully the kids and I will be able to pop down to San Diego and see him.

Something that I do whenever I get a tinge of homesickness is make the foods I use to eat when growing up.  This week I did a lot of that. There is something about making my family's favorite foods, and having my home be filled with familiar smells from my childhood that warms my heart.  Even the smell of a burnt tortilla over the comal has the ability to make my memories come alive. I made Caldo de Rez this past week.  My mom on cold sick days would always request that my dad would stop by their favorite taco place and pick her up some caldo de rez.  My sister Jessica and Mario loved it so much.  It took me a while to appreciate it.  But now that I am miles away from family I find myself missing them so sometimes I make their favorite foods, and find myself missing them a little less. 

I have found that it is a great way to share with my children my childhood memories.  Which consist of a lot of yummy food.  I don't know if it's just a Latin thing but growing up whenever we got together with family food was always around.  Mole, Flour Tortillas, Chile Rellenos, Enchiladas, Rice and Beans, Pozole (not my favorite but my mom loved it!), Albondigas, Sopes con Chorizo, Huevo con Nopales tomate cebolla y chile, Champurrado, Buñuelos, Pan De Dulce, Tamales, Flan, and of course Carñe Asada Tacos.  All these foods trigger certain events and memories that I hold dear to my heart.

- I haven't made Flan in a while I think that may be the next food I try to perfect. My last memory of that was making it with my mom and as we were blending the eggs with the condensed milk it sprayed everywhere. 

  
  My Dad added Tabasco sauce to everything growing up.  I don't add it to everything but I can't have Caldo de Rez without adding this to it.  It makes it sooooo yummy! And don't forget the LIME!

 Mis compañeros, while I cook.

I totally forgot that I had taken these before we left Arizona.  Look how big Micah has already gotten.  It's amazing how time graces us everyday without even realizing it.




1 comment:

  1. oh food triggers my nana memories big time. especially albondigas. i'm sure your meals are delish and i'm sure our kids will appreciate us passing down the mexican memories...

    ReplyDelete